Saturday, August 2, 2008

Superconductors and me...

I caught up with a friend of mine today who works on cutting edge, top secret, super high tech projects for a scientific research company.
He showed me his workshop and we had a play with some superconductor materials. Tiny strands of material that can carry 500amps of current.
Where as usually you'd require a copper cable as thick as your arm.
The science behind it will change the world, more power from power stations, reduced loss from transmission, less fossil fuels burnt..

We then had a play with a tiny magnet, a super conductor and a Styrofoam cup full of liquid nitrogen. I should have taken a picture with my phone! This magnet just sat there floating in space above the cup containing the super conductor and the nitrogen. Amazing!

Anyway that got me thinking... He has the ability to fill my dry shipper for me! They have a huge tank of it, so I'll top my shipper up myself and have it ready for shipping a lot quicker!
..Well hey.. I tried to get my head around the science of the super conductors, but you know what it's like.. only thinking of what's in it for me :)

No comments: