Thursday, July 31, 2008

Why Rusty Racer ?


When I was first diagnosed with Hodgkins disease it really gave me a shake up.

Suddenly a lot of things were put into perspective. For instance I no longer stress about the little things, and as I have no control over the big things, I don't loose much sleep over them either.

One thing I've come to realise is the importance of goal setting.

When I was in my early 20's I dreamed of one day racing at Bathurst.
That's no longer a goal, but I'm sure that had I been more focused back then, I would have.

I've always felt I had a bit of natural talent behind the wheel but never really focused myself enough to succeed.

Sure I've done my fair share of club motorsport over the years and even won a few events, but I never sat down and thought through a plan and a process for really getting anywhere.

Cancer provided me with that focus. In 2006 I built myself a tarmac hillclimb car with the goal of not only winning but breaking records. Records set by the heros of my youth, the Taylors, the Donovans, The McAndrews...

I didn't want to be that guy who at 65 says he could have been this, he should have done that.
Why Rusty-Racer? ...Cancer is slang for rust in automotive circles.. :)

Check out my motorpsort videos on you tube Here.
Or watch the video of the race car build here.

No comments: