Monday, February 23, 2009

Oh Dear!

I started to feel a little unwell on Friday night.. a bit nauseous and a little tender in the tummy.

By Saturday morning I was very ill, and having trouble standing. My temperature was an extremely high 39C and I felt terrible. I phoned ward one and they told me to go to the emergency dept and I would be admitted from there. A blood test when I arrived showed my haemoglobin level was just 59 (half the normal level) no wonder I was having trouble standing!.

Jump forward two days and throw in some heavy duty antibiotics, four units of whole blood and one of platelets and I'm finally feeling well enough to lift my head from the pillow. Blood cultures show that I had an extremely nasty bug that had gotten into my blood stream. The doctors said they were expecting me to develop a few infections while I have no immune system but that I had managed to get one of the more virulent nastys. It's amazing how fast it hit me. I'm really glad I went into hospital when I did, otherwise who knows how bad things could have gotten.

No comments: