Friday, February 20, 2009

Day 2: Blood counts plummeting

I went into the day ward this morning for a blood test and the results show that my white count is as good as zero at just .1 (4.5 - 5.6 normal) and platelets at 36 (150 - 450). I've been told to come into Ward one on Sunday morning for another test and to expect to be there most of the day if I need blood transfusions.

I spoke too soon on the upset tummy front, but it's not too bad and my mouth is still in good shape. I'm avoiding flossing and have a very soft toothbrush. Hopefully this will avoid a repeat of last months ulcers and infection. I also bought myself a nifty little digital ear thermometer so I can take my temp without having to sit around waiting with one stuck in my mouth like I have been doing. You just poke it in your ear and press the button. Anything over 38C and I'm straight off to hospital. Luckily it's been rock solid at 36.5 (middle of the normal range) so far, so that's really good.

I still smell bad though. As soon as I walked into the day ward this morning the nurses commented on my odour. Maybe they are just tuned to it.. it's quite an unusual smell apparently. Could take a few more days to subside.
Hopefully not too long!

1 comment:

Alina said...

Hiya Ron

I met you in the ward when I accompanied Mum on her 2nd chemo (20.02.09). It was great to talk to you and hear about your stem cell transplant. Mum is about to start one herself soon, so it's been good to find your blog online and have a bit of a read. A different perspective from the huge manual they give you, which doesn't have any case studies and very little good news in it!

Pleased to hear you're doing OK and that your cough is just a cough. Oh, and very cool race car! (checked out the you-tube vid).

Kind regards, Alina :)