Monday, March 19, 2012

Adcetris Day 20, Cycle-1

What a day, I'm worn out!

Sarah and I dragged ourselves out of bed at 6:30am and headed off to Mount Victoria for the annual Alexandra road hillclimb. Because it was also the last round of the National Hillclimb Championship this year, there were a lot of out of town entrants including Sloan Cox in an Evo 10 who leads the series with convincing wins at every prior event. The competition was going to be tough!

Image Courtesy of Graham Meiklejohn
To make matters worse on my first practice run I damaged the right front suspension after I hit a large pothole (cutting corners at speed) and did not realise how bent it was until the end of the event.
I just could not get down to the sort of times that I know the car is capable of, and initially thought maybe it was me being rusty behind the wheel.


Image Courtesy of Leon Cast

On my last run I gave it my very best to try and drop my time, however I missed a gear change and lost precious fractions of a second.

It was still good enough to get me within 0.12 of a second of the national champion sitting in second place. This gave me a final result of third place overall.


Image Courtesy of Leon Cast
Murray O'Neil in the other Flextech sponsored car had an amazing day leading the field from the start and winning the event. Congratulations Murray, a well earned win!








So a brilliant result and another great day of motor-racing.  I'll be parking the Evo away in the storage garage, pulling down the door and leaving it there for quite some time. The list of repairs and servicing it needs is quite long and way down the list of my priorities for now.

Tomorrow see's Sarah and I heading off to Palmerston North for my second cycle of Adcetris.

...Ron

Image Courtesy of Geoff Warren

No comments: