Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Drugs, Vision, Brakes and Privacy.

Not a word on when I will see the arrival of Brentuximab. All I can do is wait and hope that maybe it will arrive by the end of the week in time to be sent up to Auckland where it will be mixed and prepared and then sent back via Air courier to Palmerston North on the day it's administered. Apparently it has a 12 hour shelf life once mixed and it can only be prepared by a particular drug company in Auckland.

I had my eyes tested today and have ordered a new pair of glasses to get me through until I'm in a position to have cataract surgery at the end of the chemo, Probably in about six months.
The optometrist said my eyes were still in pretty good shape, no glaucoma and the optic nerve looked very good, so no diabetes damage either. It's nice to know I'm not going to go blind any time soon!

One thing he did say with regards to cataract surgery that was very exciting is that the lens they put back in would be tailored to suit my vision, so I'd actually have better vision than I did previously, no astigmatism for instance, which I've always had. He said if people knew just how good their sight was going to be after the surgery they wouldn't put it off for years like some often do. He said it's like having the sight of a teenager again, more vibrant colours and clarity.

I should have some new glasses by Friday, I'm getting new lenses fitted to a set of frames I bought about seven years ago but barely used. They are light weight Titanium and cost a me a small fortune, so I figure I'd better get some use out of them.

After a busy day yesterday working on a Celica GT4 suspension job, I thought I'd take it easy today and do some repairs on my Impreza STi road car. The brakes on it are terrible from the factory so after finding a set of later model up-rated brakes on Trademe at a very good price I decided to fit those today as well. All went well, everything bolted up perfectly and they looked great!..
That was until I went to fit the wheels back on!! They don't clear the larger brake calipers, so now I have a car with great brakes and no wheels! DOH! 

As luck would have it there was a guy selling a set of factory STi Subaru alloy wheels on Trademe that fitted correctly with the new brakes. What was really scary, and is probably a sign of just how small this world is getting, is that when I entered his phone number into my phone to call him, his name came up automatically! Apparently we are Facebook friends due to our motorsport connections.

It's scary to think that Google that has all this info can link everyone that has ever entered anything into any of the many arms of the Internet that it controls. Everything from Facebook, Picasa, YouTube, Google's search engine or even this Blog. They know my details and they know the details of everyone I know and every connection as it fans out from there. The fact that they hide the information from us is supposed to make us believe we have privacy.  Scary!!

No comments: