Sunday, November 9, 2008

Admiral rd Hillclimb

We just got back from competing at the Admiral Rd hillclimb. What a fantastic day! The weather has been awesome. I think just about everyone that went is suffering from some degree of sunburn as a result.

The turnout was huge, over forty cars this year including NZ's top rally driver Richard Mason fresh from his win of the 2008 Targa (tarmac) Rally last weekend. As I have mentioned in an earlier post I set a new record for the event last year at 37.27 seconds for the 900-metre dash to the top of the hill. However it became evident from the first run that Richard Mason was there to have a crack at beating it. He posted a 37.7 on his first time up the hill, where as I put down a slow 38.98, taking it easy on my first run as I found my limits.

After seeing his time I decided to have a go at getting up the hill in 36 seconds. I lowered my tyre pressures for more grip and raised the turbo boost pressure for more power. Sure enough I laid down a blistering time of 36.71 seconds, where as Richard only managed a mid 38 second run. I was looking good for an outright win. (or so I thought)

For the last run I tried to improve on my earlier time, however I didn't get away from the start very well. The car snapped sideways under power as I up-shifted into second gear and spun all four wheels, loosing precious fractions of a second. They say Richard Mason doesn't like to loose, (who does?) it must be the case because he certainly managed to pull something out of the bag on his last run, putting down a 36.63 second time against my 36.75. Enough to win outright and set a new event record. (The next closest cars were over 3 seconds behind us)

I'm absolutely wrapped with my second place finish. To be swapping the lead with NZ's top rally driver in a car that is a lot older and of lower spec is a great achievement. Add to that the fact that he is extremely race fit having come straight from his win in the 2200+Km Targa event. Where as I have done just two short events in the last 6 months and am about as unfit as I've ever been.

A great day! Roll on next year!

No comments: