Wednesday, November 12, 2008

What next ?

I just got back from my consultation with Dr D'Souza. There is no clear plan of attack at this stage. Basically he checked me over and we discussed treatment so far and I gave him the details of the treatment I had received in Germany.
He was very pleased to see that I was in such good shape, as he said that his greatest concern was that I would be too unhealthy to withstand further treatment.
I agreed with him and said that was why I have been pushing so hard for treatment now while I am still relatively fit.

He has scheduled another appointment in two weeks time. This gives him an opportunity to formulate a treatment plan with his colleagues and some idea of time frame. In the mean time I'm to have a raft of tests to ascertain my state of health. Blood tests, gated heart study and lung function.

There are a couple of possible treatment options, One is the high dose chemo and stem cell transplant. The other is more salvage chemo. Or possibly a mix of both. Having some form of chemo can be beneficial to stem cell harvesting in that there is a slight "rebound" effect in the bone marrow that can provide more stem cells in the harvest. Of course I may not need to re-harvest, the cells I have in Germany may be enough. Like I said it's pretty much all up in the air at this point in time.

I had one night sweat on the weekend but other than that I'm feeling really good and oddly my cough seems to be improving.

No comments: