Monday, August 18, 2008

Ein Spaziergang im Park: A walk in the park:

I went down to the front desk and asked Karina for a map of the region, which she happily supplied me. However as she had to admit there's not a lot in the way of shops etc in the local vicinity. Karina is probably the youngest staff member here. She speaks fluent English, a not unpleasant looking brunette, she's in her early twenties and like most of the young women I have seen so far, has a liking for "painted on" jeans and stiletto boots.

I pop back to my room for my sun-glasses, Rally NZ cap and the camera Murray has kindly lent me. Then it's off out the door and up the narrow pathway that leads to the main road.


Having already seen what was to offer last trip out, I decided to head down a road that had lots of sign posts adorning a pole on the corner. It was a good decision. I found a park, quite a big one, that joined all the streets together, a kind of green belt in the middle of town.

There were quite a few people sitting on the many park benches soaking up the sun. I did likewise.

On the way back I thought I'd see if I could find the Hotel Kilian. It had been recommended to me by Eleanor as a good place to stay if I was between treatments as it would save me a huge amount in hospital fees. I came across this really large three story building that looked like a Travel-Lodge, so, not finding any signage in English at the front gate, decided to walk through the car-park and up to the front doors.

It was about this point that I realised that every single person I saw was on crutches. (OK, there was this one guy in a wheelchair). It became obvious that either this was an orthopaedic hospital or the management took a very tough line on late payers! No, I won't be staying there.

A little up the road I found the Killian, It looks nice. A quick check on the internet shows that rooms are spacious with all facilities, including internet for just $100 a night for two. That's about $2100 less than staying here! I'll definitely be looking into that. I hope they aren't fully booked the week after next when Sarah has arrived.

OK that's about it for today, it's only 2:30pm but unless some huge catastrophe befalls me while being infused with another three liters of saline (it's to flush my kidneys they tell me), I'll call it a day and watch a movie or two.

Oh BTW I'm feeling OK now.. still feel off colour but can ignore it to a certain extent.

No comments: