Sunday, August 17, 2008

Day 7: Chemo continues.

I woke this morning feeling pretty good considering. It was another early rise, I just can't seem to sleep past 6am, My body clock is stuck there and won't budge.

I stayed in bed for the next two hours, my mind going over everything from blood counts to bone marrow, travel plans and work. Round and round. It's amazing I get any sleep at all.

I headed downstairs for breakfast. The only one there initially. A women came in and sat down at Eva's table. I said hello and she asked if I was the chap from Australia? I grumbled "Nooo New Zealand" I detected a Canadian accent and so asked if she was American. It made me feel better.

Pam is from Toronto and can only really be described as a health food evangelist. She interrupts, no hijacks, every conversation with irrelevant snippets of information about organics or wheat grass or the detrimental effects of microwaved food. All good information if it were not for the fact that we were talking about vastly different subjects before the hijackings.

Pam is in her late 40's medium height and build, with blonded light brown hair.
I particularly took note of her hair colour to see if she was in fact a natural blonde, after she related a story about buying a second hand hair dryer.

The story goes that she purchased one of those helmet style hair-dryers from salon that went bust. She took the unit home and decided to "repair" it with a tin of WD40 lubricant.
Her mother was the first person to use the newly "repaired" unit and duly plugged it in and sat under it. Before long copious volumes of smoke poured from the vents and she pulled her head out just as the unit burst into flames. I think Pam should stick to her organics.

I returned to my room post cornflakes and chatted to Sarah for a while online. Soon Biljana arrived and hooked me up for another day of liquid chemo treats. That was 10:30am, it's now 12:30 and I've only just got the energy to get out of bed and start this post. I was feeling quite queezy there for a while. I'm better now, we have turned down the flow rate on the Alexan.

Dr Kopic and Dr Glonti dropped in on their morning rounds and we had a good discussion on all aspects of my health, chemo and expected stay here. I've asked that he talk with Christine (Medical manager) and draw up a timeline so I can plan my stay and travel plans for both myself and Sarah. One thing that he did say was that if my bone marrow histology is clear and I have no involvement there, then I will have only two rounds of chemo in total. If I have bone marrow invlovement then I will need 3 in total. Here's hoping!

Dr Glonti is transfixed on the television as he has shown a propensity to do anytime I have an English speaking program on. I'm sure he's listening but it doesn't inspire my confidence when he prefers to watch the ads than discuss my need for a laxative.
Dr Kopic gives me 100% of his attention and has his back to the TV. (Luckily I'd wisely switched over from a German speaking Xena Princess Warrior before they arrived, otherwise I'd be talking to myself)

The Doctors want me to get out and walk around for a while in case I develop thrombosis. I'm sure I won't and anyway how does one get outside with these infernal lines hooked up to oneself? I'd look like a crazed stick-man puppet on an epileptic romp through the green fields of Bavaria.
Tripping over the IV stand as it was thrown first one way then the other as the lines are pulled through the makeshift pivot of my trouser buttons by my wildly swinging arms. No I shall stay inside and type away to myself.. I can do less harm if I keep the calisthenics confined to the turmoil in my head.

I've lost count of the drugs I'm taking, maybe ten or twelve?, not one of them is psychedelic in nature and none do anything but make you feel poisoned. You'd think they would give you at least one drug that made you cruise through all this in a state of narcotic induced nirvana.
Perhaps I should leave a note in the suggestion box..

OK drug count just went up by three. Biljana has some goodies to get me "moving". However I'm too scared to take them! How on earth am I expected to cope with what may well be an eruption on a scale not seen since Mount St Helens, when my wrists are tied to this trifford like apparatus!??

I think I'll go lay down for a while and contemplate my situation. She's cranked up the Alexan because it was going in too slow (which made me feel heaps better) but now it's too fast and the nausea has returned.

I'll start a new post later if I manage to get out of bed again today.

No comments: