Tuesday, October 25, 2011

We have new blood!

Finally after more than 6 months of blood transfusions I have started producing my own blood faster than it gets used up. My blood counts today are higher than they have been in ages, and all done under their own steam.

Last Wednesday I went into the Blood & Cancer day ward and was given a unit of platelets and two units of whole blood.
I'd been making no new blood of my own due to both the Hodgkin's infiltration of my bone marrow and the myelosuppressive (suppresses bone marrow and therefore production of blood)  nature of the chemotherapy.
The plan was to give me a big enough top up to get me through till today, a period of seven days, so I could visit family in Christchurch.

The doctors did not want me to travel as my neutrophil count was almost zero, at 0.1 This left me with almost no protection from infection and at risk of neutropenic sepsis and fever.
They wrote me a covering letter to give to the doctors at Christchurch hospital outlining my illness's and stating that I was traveling against their advice. They were concerned I'd pick up a rogue bug on the airplane and have no defence against it.

Well personally I've never been one for shying away from doing something just because it might kill me. Heck if I didn't do anything for fear of dying, I might as well not get off the couch.
So as you can imagine I am very, very pleased to find out that not only was I not at great risk while visiting my sister and family, I was actually producing new blood cells as I sat on said couch and watched New Zealand win the rugby world cup! Awesome :)

I did of course take precautions while away. I wore a surgical mask on the plane and avoided possible sources of infection such as raw food and contact with pets.

I next have chemo on Friday 4th November so I will have a good chance to raise my blood counts further and build up a bit of a reserve before they are wiped out again. However I'm sure that they will then return even stronger again after that.

Cheers!   ...Ron

No comments: