Friday, June 12, 2009

Not well...

Well it might be time to face facts... Whatever it is that is ailing me is fairly serious and the most likely scenario now would be Hodgkins Lymphoma.
My cough continues to get worse and I've run a constant low grade fever of around 38C for the last few weeks.

Sure it certainly looked like radiation pneumonitis when considered in the light of the clear CT scan, but once the Doctor admitted that the two look exactly the same under CT and PET the alarm bells started ringing. The scan wasn't clear at all, it had an area that they thought was inflammation but just as easily could be cancer. What a bummer!

At the moment I feel very similar to how I felt when I returned from Germany and developed a severe cough and tightness in my chest with about two weeks.
Today I am at the worst I have been since symptoms first appeared two months ago. Perhaps I've picked up some sort of other bug too, hence the fatigue. Last time I exercised heaps and managed to keep on top of it energy-wise. I'll see if that helps this time too.

I emailed Dr D'Souza this morning to say that the antibiotics did not appear to be having any effect and that I was concerned that time was now of the essence due to the two month delay. I asked that he make my case a priority and if he could schedule a meeting as soon as possible to discuss further tests and my treatment options should it be Hodgkins.
He emailed me back straight away asking that I see him first thing Monday morning.
Certainly fast by any standards.

I know they will want to redo the CT scan to see if the area of involvement has changed or spread to surrounding lymph nodes, a bad thing. However if the area is in exactly the same place as the radiation field covered then it could be inflammation. If it's outside of that field it's most likely HL but could then possibly be treated with further radiation... so many possibilities..

Work-wise I have decided to close the workshop next month. I'm not well enough to be trying to do the physical work involved and I think I'll be better off concentrating on getting well, no matter what the cause is of my illness. If I need to get out of the house then there's always the building of our new house to oversee.

I'll post again next week once I've spoken with the doctors.

No comments: