Tuesday, June 9, 2009

It's never so simple...

I just got off the phone to Dr D'Souza. Man talk about a Chinese puzzle to sort out!!
He said that the written CT report describes areas of inflammation in the lungs.. fine we knew that.
But he then goes on to say that it could be caused by three things... Hodgkin's, an infection or inflamation (radiation pneumonitis).

OK I have no problem taking that in.. But it gets tricky when trying to work out which.
He said that a PET scan would light-up exactly the same for Hodgkin's as it would for inflammation.. so we would be none the wiser. I suggested throwing steroids at it and seeing if things improved, therefore proving inflammation. He said that Hodgkin's responds to steroids much the same as an inflammation.. so once again we would be none the wiser as to which we were treating.

So we are going to throw some heavy duty antibiotics at it and see if we can't at least get some sort of result that way. If it doesn't work we are still left with two possibilities... one of which could be Hodgkin's.. I don't want to consider that. I'll stay focused on it being an inflammation.
Meantime I'm doubling my dose of inhaled steroids to see what that does as I have had some modest success with the dose I'm on now and my GP said I could double it if I felt I needed to.

No comments: