Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Morning of day four.

The IV drips just keep coming.. It was late last night before the final saline flush was complete. I was woken by nurse Francesca at 2:20am as she tried to quietly sneak into my room to remove the lines. She's awesome, always a bright cheery smile and asking if there is anything I want or need. Earlier in the night I had phoned Biljana to tell her that my saline bottle needed to be changed. After about twenty minutes I figured she had forgotten, so changed it myself. About thirty minutes later she came running in saying "I sorry, I sorry, I sorry" I just laughed.. she had forgotten purely because she was so busy. Her punishment was to take my empty dinner tray back to the kitchen... Never waste an opportunity to give the guilt ridden the chance to redeem themselves I say.. ;)

This morning nurse Natalie arrived with eight new bottles of various things. It's the last day of chemo oriented IV's so that's good. The last Dex steroid, four bottles of infusions and three litres of saline to flush the kidneys.

I sprang a leak earlier, basically blew out the needle in my wrist.. too much pressure I'd say.
We were running two lines into one needle and it all got too much for it.. and fluid was running back around the sides of the needle through the skin and dripping on the floor.

Dr Glonti has put another line into the back of my hand and it seems to be flowing well.
Typing is a bit awkward though, cant bend my fingers without making the vein pop up.. the needle is flexible so it's not like it will suddenly emerge out the back of my hand.. but it looks creepy.

Dr G is pushing for me to have a 'port' put in my chest. This is what I wanted at the beginning, but they tried opting for a central line, and we all know how that worked out!. So now I'm a bit over the whole idea of having hollow wires and tubes inserted into my body. I don't think I'll go down that path unless we run of veins in my arms.. which considering we are now onto the few remaining veins on the back of my right hand.. might not be too far away.. sigh.

No comments: