Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Day one summary.


I saw the two main doctors today briefly, Dr Drasynski and Dr Kopic, Dr D speaks English very well but had difficulty understanding me, Dr Kopic just smiled and nodded at everything I said, even the things the other doctor asked me to repeat.

The nurses are much better, they apologise for their English but at the same time speak it better than a lot of Kiwis I could name.
I've had a cannula put in my left arm at the wrist. Today I had some "Infusions" from what I can tell one is Selenium, one was an "anti-oxidant" (probably vitamin C, I'll check tomorrow) and the last was some form of liver cleaning agent. I'll read the bottles tomorrow and see what Google has to say. They seem to be part of a standard daily regime that's included in the price. Whether they actually do anything who knows.

The doctor said he would come back at around 4pm, he didn't and I slept all afternoon apart from being awoken by an amazing electrical storm at about 5pm. I couldn't see the flashes but the noise was incredible. Huge crackling roars that went on for ages, oddly no rain fell.
I was finally woken when the restaurant phoned to ask if I was coming down. I asked them to bring it up.
It's going to take me a while to get used to the food. I now know why you don't find any German restaurants, the food is very bland (even for hospital food) and weird.

Take tonight's dinner (someone please take it!) it was a brown watery barley soup with some celery floating in it. The taste was salty like soy sauce. That was followed by a triangle of grey steak accompanied by some carrot triangles and a wafer thin yellow thing that looked like melted cheese but tasted like, and was I'm told, potato.

Desert was barley balls floating in a sea of blackcurrant jam. Definitely an acquired taste.
20 minutes pass....

I've just had a wee turn, my digestive system is in turmoil, I've developed a stomach ache and have turned a shade of grey. Might be time to turn in for the night.

Tomorrow I see Dr Kopic, the nodding, smiling head haematologist from the brief visit earlier in the day. I'm told he is very good. Tomorrow he will have my blood test results and will discuss his treatment plan for me.

I just had to lay down for a few minutes and now that I have returned the wireless internet connection seems to have gone down. It's been doing it all day. I'll write some more and save it so I can publish it when I get back online.. if..

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is one good thing to come of this - you will NEVER complain about my strange cooking again!

Ron Scanlan said...

That thought had crossed my mind babe :-*

Jota said...

ohh goodie, another 'strange' cook, when you come up and stay we can swap -I would say 'receipes' but I don't go by them, we can swap ideas. Oh boy our men will be so happy ;)