Thursday, August 7, 2008

The Countdown begins..

This has become a full time job! The amount of work involved in all this is incredible!
I really do wonder how someone who was not as able as myself would get all this organised.

The number of phone calls, emails and running around has consumed every waking hour for the last couple of weeks.

So lets update where we are at.. The Shipper is currently at IRL (Industrial Research Ltd) where it is settling after having been filled with liquid nitrogen. I really can't thank the team there enough for all their help.
All the customs paperwork for the transportation of the Stem cells has been collected and forwarded on the Wgtn hospital Immunology dept for signing.
World Couriers are primed and ready to pickup the shipper tomorrow at 10am. I'll deliver the empty shipper to Immunology at about 9:30am and the team there will load transfer the stem cells into it at the last minute.

It's then sent on the most direct flight to Munich arriving 5pm at the Leonardis Clinic where they have someone waiting to put them back into cold storage.
The flight for the stem cells taking a lot less time than my own travel arrangements.

I've purchased a set of reading glasses, done at the last minute and within 24 hours by the team at blackeyes.co.nz . I've been using a cheap set from the chemist and they seemed ok, they made things bigger but not much clearer. It wasn't until I talked to my brother-in-law Ken and he told me that cheap reading glasses can actually make your sight worse, that I thought I'd better get it sorted before I leave.
I'll be spending a lot of time on the laptop and the last thing I need is a case of eye strain ! :)

I picked up the glasses yesterday and what a difference! I can read the tiniest of print in crystal clear vision. You don't realise how bad your eyes get with age until you can compare.

I've approached Pacific Radiology about getting the full version of my last PET scan burnt to CD. I have the written result that came with my medical records, but I'm sure the team in Germany will need to see the full colour images from the last scan in order to locate the tumours in my chest to collect cells for the Dentritic cell vaccine . Again the people at PR have been great to deal with.

Lastly I've organised a room to stay in at the Airport Regal Hotel in Hong Kong.
My stop-over there is nearly 16 hours , arriving at 6:45am and departing at 11:05pm. So booking a room to have a shower, a sleep and to use for a base if I decide to venture into the city will be a godsend. The hotel is connected to the airport by an air-bridge so I don't even have to venture outside if I don't feel like it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI Ron, If you do feel like venturing in HK hope on the train - it is about 20 mins into Central and have a wee walk around the water front - gives you a good feel for HK - a crazy place. Good luck with all the travels and take care - all the best for the treatment too!!!!!!!!!!
Hugs Catherine

Ron Scanlan said...

Thanks Catherine :) I was just asking some people today what there was to do in HK, no one had any ideas.. Cheers!