Thursday, September 22, 2011

We have a plan !

Sarah and I just got back from a long meeting with Dr D'Souza.

First thing discussed was that Adcetris is not available outside the USA at this point in time.
However the drug company is looking at releasing it to market in late October. (ish)

So in the meantime we are going to start palliative chemo with the drug Vinorelbine as soon as next week, depending on when the day clinic can squeeze me in. I'll also be fitted with a PICC ("pick") line in my arm possibly first thing Monday.


PICC lines are great,  I had one fitted when I had my stem cell transplant. No more failed cannula insertions and I can have blood samples taken and blood given all through the same line.



He decided to use just the one chemotherapy agent at this point in time is to avoid the possibility of further lung damage. If lung damage occurs we can change to another drug, probably Gemcitabine, or add others to the mix.

The hope is to gain a reasonably long period of remission with the knowledge that should/when I relapse we have Adcetris to fall back on. It having been released worldwide in the interim.

So roll on next week and let the treatment begin! I'm looking forward to waking up one morning and having no itch! Isn't it funny what you focus on.. I've been scratching non stop like a mad man for 18 months now. To have it disappear will be cause for great celebration, despite all the negativity associated with cause.

More posts as things come together..   ..Ron

No comments: