Saturday, August 1, 2009

Closing of the workshop all done.

It took two solid weeks to complete but I managed to complete the job of packing up the workshop on time. I had help from friends on the days that I needed to move the heavy stuff, and want say a special thanks to my friend Colin who put in three days of hard work this week when he could have just as easily been at home relaxing.

I couldn't believe how much stuff (read junk) I had collected over the last twenty years. I had a big clean out when I moved from the old workshop to this one, but there was still a lot of stuff that had been brought over. Some of it I had not touched in thirty years. That was all thrown out or sold. However even the true treasure that just has to be kept, takes up the two outside sheds we have here at the place we rent and all of the double garage. I can see I'm going to have to condense it all a bit and maybe have a second look at some items..

I sold nearly all of the plant to private buyers. Some items that I found during the cleanup went for quite good money on Trademe. It was funny how serendipity came into play on so many occasions during the two week clean-up. There was the time when Colin and I had loaded the van ready to do a final trip to the landfill and were about to leave when I got a phone call from the buyer of the Wheel Alignment machine asking if I could wait at work another ten minutes so he could pick it up. While we were waiting for him, the guy who won the auction on Trademe for the mig welder showed up (a day late) and spotted my old engineers press in the back of the van and offered me $60 for it.

When we finally got to the tip we were unloading everything into the concrete trench, I pushed the old welding plant trolley out of the van and over the side. No sooner had it touched the ground two metres below us, when the guy unloading a trailer beside us jumped into the trench grabbed the trolley and raced up the ramp and loaded it onto his trailer! He then climbed into the back of my van with me and asked if he could have the small desk I was about to throw out. The cool thing about it was that I didn't really want to throw out either of the items but I didn't have the time or inclination to try and find them a home.

I'm going to spend the next two weeks taking it easy and getting all the stuff sorted.

Healthwise I'm pretty good. I have a head cold at the moment which is annoying.
The great steroid trial was a moderate success. My fever has returned but it seems to me more mild than before, and the cough is just a shadow of what it was. I no longer cough until I gag which is great. My plan is to get the TB test out of the way this week and see if I can convince the doctor to put me on a low dose course of prednisone that is just low enough to keep the fevers at bay.

Right! It's a beautiful day outside, time to get out into the sunshine and enjoy my new life without the stress of running a workshop on my shoulders. :)

No comments: