Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Wow!

Last night I attended the Wellington Motorsport Association annual prize-giving evening.
I'd been told I needed to attend, I thought it was because I had again won the Duncan McKenzie series for sealed events. This the fourth year I have won it in a row. Something that had never been done before.

Sure enough I was awarded the DM trophy and I made a short speech about how difficult the year had been, but that I had been lucky enough to still compete in all the rounds. Some of the events I entered in a very sick state indeed, But I had made my motorsport my goal... a focus to get me through my often harsh medical treatments. I mentioned my boyhood racing heroes and how I had set myself a goal of one day winning the Duncan McKenzie series.

One thing I did notice during the prize giving was the large number of competitors that won awards that I help out in one way or another. Usually it's a bit of free advice and a discount on the work I do on their cars. It seemed like I had a small hand in about 90% of the winning Rally and Sealed event cars.

Later in the evening we were told it was time for a very special award, one that is only given out every few years. We were told that the recipient had competed successfully at a very high level in local motorsport despite having several obstacles thrown in his way. This person was known to offer help to many younger motorsport competitors and contribute both his time and expertise to the sport. I began thinking ... gee that could be anyone.. heck it could even be me!!
He spoke of the fact that this person offered the use of their premises for motorsport events.. and I realised it was me he was talking about! I started to shake..

Suddenly my name was being called and the whole room rose, giving me a standing ovation.. I walked to the front of the room tears welling up in my eyes.. I was totally blown away.. speechless. The award.. "The Mobil Wellington Motorsport Person of the year"

It still hasn't completely sunk in.. Perhaps I should have guessed something was in the air when the General Manager of Motorsport New Zealand phoned me yesterday and asked if my car could be put on display in the foyer at Head Office...

3 comments:

A. Tasker, HCCC said...

Congratulations on the award! Couldn't make the prize giving but wanted to let you know that you absolutely deserve it and are an inspiration.

Ron Scanlan said...

Thank you :)

Unknown said...

congratulations Ron, indeed a well deserved award. best regards, Richard