Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

I was awoken by a sore throat on Sunday morning. By Sunday night I had developed several mouth ulcers. By Monday I could not swallow and the ulcers were numbering in the thirties. After a sleepless night last night I phoned the hospital and relayed the symptoms. They suggested I come in straight away.

My mouth and tongue have gone completely white, a symptom of oral thrush. But I've never seen it get so bad so quickly. I can't swallow without severe pain and drinking any kind of liquid is very difficult. Solid food is impossible.

I'm really annoyed about this because after all the care I went through during chemo to avoid problems with my mouth I've developed exactly what I was trying to avoid. It was this time last year that I suffered the same thing and lost 15kg in weight when I was unable to eat for two weeks. Hopefully this time it won't be as bad.

The really good news is that I had a blood test today. All my counts have doubled since last Saturday. Most are now back into the normal range. The platelet count has shot up to 38 and looks like it's going to rocket up to a normal level in a few weeks. This means that the Bone Marrow transplant has definitely engrafted. I can stop worrying now.

Ugly is the state of my mouth. I hope it wasn't the Indian food I had on Saturday night to celebrate! I've never seen so many ulcers come up all at once. Today in hospital they gave me a litre of fluid via IV as I'm already dehydrated through not being able to swallow. The doctor also took several swabs from my mouth and tongue to see if they can grow anything in the lab. They want me back in again tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ron, Have you done research into alkaline vs acid conditions of the body and how an alkaline diet can aid candida (thrush) and many other ailments? Just a thought...
Hugs,
Toni