Friday, January 16, 2009

Who needs blood anyway?

I dropped into the hospital today for a blood test. Whites 0.26 and platelets 43. So I'm neutropenic and not far off being thrombocytopenic as well. They want me to come into the hospital on sunday for another test and a likely blood transfusion.
I've told them I can't make it in till after I've done one run at the Port road street sprint. They are horrified but I've promised them I won't crash. (with platelets at 43 now and probably under 10 by sunday I'm at risk of uncontrolled bleeding)

I've already had a couple of phone calls from other competitors asking if I will be racing. I've done the maths in my head and unless I enter this weekend and post a time then there is almost no way I can win the series if someone else enters the other rounds and gains even modest points.

Thing is, life is for living, there's no point sitting around wrapped up in cotton wool making excuses for why I can't do what I love. To me the achievement of winning the 2009 sealed sprint series is well worth risk. I'd regret not doing it now while I have the chance... you never know what the future holds.

Healthwise I'm still really dizzy when I stand up and everything hurts.. even my hair! well not really my hair but my scalp feels tight and bruised. That's generally a sign that I can't be too far away from having it all fall out. My face hurts too.. not a big pain, just tender.. it's probably all the old skin cells dying off and having no new ones to replace them yet.

I'll let you know how I go on sunday...

No comments: