Monday, January 26, 2009

Waiting for the plan...

I've managed to find out my blood counts, they are really good news!
My WBC has gone up 150% overnight to 1.83 so they are good for harvesting.
My platelets have dropped to 13% which is actually good because they were 14 yesterday and have only dropped a small mount. This tells me that I'm starting to produce my own as the count should have halved overnight and it hasn't.

The next area is monocytes. Until yesterday I had never had to factor these into anything.
But Dr D'Souza told me yesterday that they were very low and this concerned him as they were a factor in determining the likelihood of getting a good stem cell harvest. I didn't memorise the figure (I'll update the figure later) but it's gone from almost nothing to being completely normal in the last 24 hours. A truly incredible increase.

Things are happening really fast now. I just wish someone would tell me the plan!
I've got the transfusions I asked for. Two units of whole blood and one of platelets.
The nurse asked if I wanted them after lunch. I said I want them now.


OK: Catherine Wood just came in and told me the plan. The stem cell (CD34) count today is 2 we need it to be 20. So no harvest today. She agrees that with the big increases in the other counts overnight that it's still looking good. I asked how relevant the monocyte count was to the CD34 stem cell count and she explained that the two were closely tied and that the increase in the monocyte count was a very positive sign.

I'm free to go home today and return tomorrow for a blood test and possible harvesting.. yay!

No comments: