Thursday, January 29, 2009

Counting my blessings..

Let's see.. where am I at right now...
Absolutely no cough, not even a tickle now for several days.
No back aches.
No asthma.
Temperature is rock steady at 36.5 (dead centre of the normal range)
No night sweats.
No fatigue, and energy levels normal.
Walked for an hour last night and felt fine.
I've not felt this well in a very long time.

So it looks like the IVE chemo has really knocked the Hodgkin's for a six.

This is exactly what we wanted. Too reduce the cancer burden right down so that the BEAM high dose chemo in two weeks time has less to do and more chance of success.

Treatment starts on Feb 12th with the insertion of a PICC line into my arm for easy access when giving chemo and taking bloods. It's much better than the std IV line into a vein that I've had in the past.

Chemo will be completed on the 17th (yuk! six days of continuous IV chemotherapy) and my stem cells will be reintroduced 24 hours later. They expect that barring any problems I can go home at that point (18th).

From there it will take 3-4 weeks for the stem cells to engraft and rebuild my bone marrow. My blood counts should follow closely behind.

And as always there's a motorsport focus for me.. Mount Victoria Hillclimb is scheduled for March 15th and It is my goal to be well enough to compete and defend my title.

No comments: