Thursday, August 28, 2008

Sarah Posts: ...Not so lost - really

I have just read Ron's journal entry from yesterday and am deeply wounded. I was not lost. I knew were I was. I was in the Bavarian countryside talking to cows with clanging bells around their necks.
I had, in fact, realized I had taken the wrong turning within 100 metres of walking down the gravel road, but decided a stroll through the shady woodland looked like a pleasant way to avoid the mid-afternoon sun. So I kept going. I came out of the woods and, as my Dad always told me to do, kept turning in the same direction. I turned right along a sealed lane that ran through the middle of a cow shed. The aroma of sickeningly sweet silage and baking cow excrement was fairly unpleasant but I smiled and thought how nice it was to be here compared to spending 40 hours in airports and on airplanes stressing about fog, missing connections, and lack of re-booking options.
I turned right at the next intersection, and right again at the next. And voila! I was back outside the Klinic. So Dad - again you were right. I found my way home without having to drop crumbs - just like when I got lost in the New Forest :-)

Ron gave me the good news about his bone marrow when I first arrived here. I gave him the hugest hug which, incidentally, was the last time I was able to touch him as he went straight in to isolation due to his blood counts being so low.
We still don't know whether Ron will be able to have the second round of Chemo within the next few weeks, or whether he will need to return to NZ for a few weeks to recover his marrow. But we are both less anxious about it now as we can talk to the Doctors and make decisions together.

I will leave the details of the horrors of my trip here for another time when I am a little more over it and can see the funny side - not yet.

cheers
sarah

No comments: