Monday, June 18, 2012

So what went wrong? : 8 days in ICU, Part-1

I know it's been six weeks since I wrote a proper post. That's how sick I've been. Just too weak and lethargic to open my laptop and type. Well it's now time for a catch-up. I'm still weak and have several health problems yet to be resolved, but here goes....

      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday May 10th I was in great shape, I was able to exercise and get about with very little fatigue. I had a bit of a wheeze that I was assuming would go as I got fitter. I was about to start on my plan to take erythromycin as a means to help me ween off prednisone completely.

Friday I woke feeling quite unwell and running a fever, but that's not something that's out of the ordinary for me.

By Saturday I was quite unwell and decided to spend the day in bed. I put the fever down to side effects of the Adcetris as the same thing had happened at that point in the last cycle. I decided that I'd make a visit to ED on Sunday to get a blood test and check for neutropenia.

Sunday morning 8am and I was physically unable to get out of bed. I was running a fever in the high 39's and delirious. Sarah dressed me as I was too weak. I then managed to stagger with her help the short distance to her car. I reclined the seat back and endured the short trip to hospital. I staggered into the Emergency Dept while Sarah parked the car.

Once at the desk the nurse handed me a form. I looked at it blankly and slumped into a seat. I think they realised at that point that I was in a fairly bad way.
Sarah started to fill out the form but before she could complete it a couple of male ED doctors scooped me up on a gurney and rushed me into the theatre.

My blood pressure was 50 and dropping, organ failure and death were a serious possibility. The doctors immediately placed five cannulas in various parts of my body along with a catheter in my bladder. Some were for monitoring, others to get fluids in fast.

Three & a half litres of fluid was then pushed into my body to raise my blood pressure. A side effect of pushing so much fluid into your body so quickly (they were literally squeezing the bags) is that my lungs filled with fluid and within minutes I felt like I was drowning. My lungs felt like concrete and it just didn't feel like I was getting any usable air.

One of the Doctors suggested to Sarah and I that we gather family members around as there was a very high chance that I may not make it. This he said would be a challenge for a healthy person but with my complications survival was even more unlikely.
He asked how I felt about being put in an induced coma and placed on a ventilator.
I replied that I would like them to do whatever it took (to save my life).
This was somehow interpreted as a "no" from me and he wrote in my notes a whole paragraph stating that I'd basically placed a "DNR" request!. (Do Not Resuscitate).

I was then taken upstairs to ICU (Intensive Care Unit) at Hutt Hospital.
Another Doctor then queried my apparent desire for no medical intervention and the error was luckily corrected. I'm still considering laying a compliant about this incident as it could have had fatal consequences.

Once again this doctor expressed the view that there was a serious risk that I would not make it and that family should be informed. Personally I felt that I would make it but it would be a battle. He explained that if I was going to be placed in an induced coma then family should be there to say goodbye to as once asleep it would be too late, I'd just not wake from the coma if I failed to respond to treatment. He said that if they needed to ventilate they would give us enough time to contact family and for them to get to my bedside.

The results of the blood and sputum cultures showed I had a serious infection in my lungs from the common bug "pseudomonas" as a result of being neutropenic from the chemo. I was indeed very, very sick. I've often been told that I never seem to realise just how sick I am, I always think that the guy in the next bed is way worse than me. This time I was that guy! Too weak to even move in bed, my only focus was to breath.

The following day I was transferred to Wellington hospital's ICU unit at the request of my haematology doctor. Wellington hospital is virtually brand new and their Intensive care unit is second to none. I likened it to being in a NASA lab.
I was placed in a large open room with a large glass sliding door in the front facing onto the rest of the open ward. This was an isolation room, designed to protect me from infection.

Just been transferred to Wellington ICU. The worst was yet to come.
Large monitors and all kinds of  medical devices were around and above me on both sides. On the other side of the large glass door a nurse stood at a desk watching me 24/7. At least I felt safe. That was as long as I had the strength to breath....

Continued next post.

No comments: