Friday, February 25, 2011

The return of the BOOP.

I don't think I've ever been so happy to be so sick.

Once I'd been informed that I had macrocytic anemia and that it had been brewing for several weeks, a lot of things started to make sense. The tachycardia, the fever, the fatigue. All are symptoms of lung disease, but together and without an increase in my white cell counts, they are not typical of lymphoma. Phew!

I've just returned from a visit with my #2 GP Kyra Jones and although she is cautious about my decision to run with 60mg of prednisone until I see my haematologist on March 10th, she didn't exactly say no either. (She freely admits that there's not a lot of people that know much about BOOP, least of all her.)

There's no point in trying to treat a BOOP relapse with 40mg, I tried that last month and it didn't work. I wanted to go with 60mg then but the respiratory doctor insisted on 40mg. I think had he looked at the blood work he would not have gone down that route.

Oh well... It's sorted now. I should learn to go with my gut feelings. I knew I had relapsed in January, Knew I should have gone with 60mg.. but at least it's not lymphoma, and my marrow is probably fine.
I'll get my strength back over the next few weeks and then I can start back on the path to weening off pred all over again.

At least it hasn't ended with me in hospital like it did last time no one would listen.

No comments: