Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Just a quickie

It's been a hectic couple of weeks in my world.. well it seems that way. In reality it probably wasn't.
I've been weening myself down on the prednisone (yes.. my world does revolve around that drug!)
and I seem to fret about stuff that ultimately probably isn't even an issue.

However, I have been busy both with work and stuff around the house.
One area of concern has been security following the two thefts. I've installed an alarm system, upgraded the security camera system and am now working on the idea of an automatic gate that I shall connect to the the other two systems via a module that can text me whenever anything happens around the house. It's an idea I've come up with based on a unit Id seen that was designed to control dairy farm gates via mobile phone. It's amazing what you can come with at 2am on a sleepless night. One good side effect of the steroids I guess!

The Evo is now back home and looking good. I have to set about designing a quick-release type frame for the front bumper. The factory frame is bent beyond repair after the Targa crash and I've always had trouble getting the car on and off trailers with the front lip catching on the ground. The way around it will be to make a frame that attaches to the bumper skin and that can be removed by releasing just a couple of T-bolts.

Speaking of race cars.. It's become apparent that there's just not enough room in the workshop to store two race cars and have enough space to work on other projects. After consulting with Sarah (The accountant) she agreed that we really needed to build a separate storage garage for the two toys.
So starting next week I'll have Kurt, my former employee/mechanic turned earth-moving contractor, "fine tuning" an area of land at the rear of the house so a double garage can be constructed. That's going to keep me busy for a month or two for sure!

Yesterday I had a CT scan. I'd forgotten how much I have come to hate hospitals. There seems to be a limit as to how many medical procedures a person can have before they start to become abhorrent. I think I passed that point some time back. My veins are so damaged by chemo that the simple task of inserting a line is now a real mission. What was once just a case of choosing one of the veins on my arms that stood out like the lines on a road map, followed by quick sharp pin-prick. Is now 30 minutes of heat bags, tourniquets, searching and sometimes failures.

Yesterday I showed the nurse the most likely spot for success, she ignored my advice, failed on her choice and then succeeded with mine. Not surprisingly I have grown to hate needles. Today I have a blood test in preparation for tomorrows meeting with Dr D'Souza my haematologist. I doubt he will have had enough time to review yesterday's CT scan. So I'm not expecting to come away from the appointment with any news. However the scan is just to confirm continued remission, not because we suspect relapse.

Today is one of the first clear sunny winter days we have had in a long while. I think I should get out there and enjoy it while I go about the day's tasks..

Till next time ..Ron

1 comment:

Wayne said...

Hey There, I was just browsing through blogs and I cam across yours, it was the car that cought my attention, I love rally cars and I even made a small model of the subaru, with the help of a magazine. I have read your post and I also saw the info that said you are battling with Hodgkins Lymphoma. I just wanted to tell you that I love your page and I wish you all the best. thanks for sharing your story. I wish you all the best.