Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The plan...

I had a meeting with Dr D'Souza this morning. It started in the middle of the car park, where we had bumped into each other, continued through the underground car-park into the lifts and down the corridors. It was he who instigated the conversation, most Doctors don't like to talk to patients outside of their allotted time-slot.. That little fifteen minute time-slice that you often have to wait two to six weeks to obtain. So I didn't feel bad for talking out of class.

Once seated in one of the rooms he laid out the treatment plan.
Jan 8th I go into hospital and receive one cycle of IFE salvage chemotherapy. The salvage chemo will reduce the cancer burden in preparation for the high dose chemo with stem cell rescue that will follow about 3-4 weeks later. It will also increase the chances of getting a good stem cell harvest. We start mobilisation shortly after the chemo. Mobilisation refers to stimulating the growth of stem cells in preparation for harvesting. This involves being injected with large doses of GCSF growth factor. Basically the same growth factor I was given to stimulate my white blood counts in Germany but in much higher doses.

I was surprised to find out that I won't be stuck in a hospital bed for the entire time. There are several short stays, but most of the time I can stay at home and be driven (or drive myself, but don't tell them I said that!)into the hospital every day for tests etc. The exact dates have yet to be confirmed, I'll be getting an email in a few days with the full treatment schedule.

I've booked the couriers to pick up my stem cells from Germany. They should arrive back mid next week. I've conveyed to Dr D'Souza my doubts over the viability of the old stem cells and he said that they will be tested on their arrival and if they are not up to spec they will be disposed of. Hopefully we get a really good harvest this time and we won't need to use them anyway.

Health-wise I'm still in good chape. I was having the occasional single bottle of beer after work on these warm summer evenings but I started to get a slight back-ache so have now decided to do without. My cough seems to be worse, it drives me nuts. No night sweats in ages.

2 comments:

Jota said...

Hi Ron, Trust it is all going to plan...
My brother in law has just had his first lot of huge doses of chemo and I was trying to find on your blog where you talked about noni? juice helping with the side effects... can you give me that info please. Did you see my sister Michelle passed away 3 months after the misdiagnosis. Sorry, have lost your email address.

Anonymous said...

Good to hear you're still in good shape Ron, all the best with your treatment.